Saturday 20 March 2010

"A unique heroine...a jaw dropping ending"


The millennium trilogy consists of, ‘The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo’, ‘The Girl Who Played With Fire’, and ‘The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet’s Nest’.

The first in the series, tells the tale of ‘The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo’, - Lisbeth Salander, who is a somewhat, unconventional modern heroine. This was one of those books, recommended to me by a friend, and initially I thought, ‘I won’t enjoy this, this isn’t my kind of book’. I will admit the first in the series, ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’, did not get off to a great start for me. I found it initially difficult to engage in the story, as there seemed to be so many characters and it was difficult to stay focussed. However, after a few chapters I was well and truly captured by the gripping plot. Hook, line and sinker. This book kept me entertained until the very end. Written in a captivating, yet not overly dramatic way. It had enough twists and turns to keep you engrossed yet not too many that it made you dizzy! You could say it was a classic tale of good against evil, in a modern and unique setting, filled with controversy, cruelty, horrific discoveries, humour and a touch of love. It really does have a lot to offer.

The second in the series, started off brilliantly and ended in exactly the same way. It is very rare for a writer to be able to continue in a trilogy and start the second novel from exactly where the last one left off – successfully. Stieg Larsson has managed to do just that. And he even goes on to make ‘The Girl Who Played With Fire’ just as captivating, if not more so than the first. He skilfully introduces about a dozen or so more characters, who fit perfectly into the weaving web that makes up this exceptional tale.

I have not yet finished the third story, but so far it is as promising as the last two and I really do not want to put it down! Once I’m done with it I will update this review.

Sadly, Larsson did not live to see how much of a success his books have been around the world, he died of a heart attack in 2004, but the phenomenon of the millennium trilogy will live on amongst millions of readers who have enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment